*CLICK TITLE ABOVE TO SEE FULL RECIPE
Want an AMAZING, fresh, bright, and impressive appetizer to serve with drinks when friends come over? This literally tastes like vacation on a tortilla chip! Traditional ceviche is a mixture of raw fish combined with lime juice and it is the acid from the lime juice that does the “cooking” while sitting in your fridge. This is my slightly unconventional riff on a classic. Even the seafood haters in our family love this! Read through to the bottom for the free printable recipe card.
And after eating something so fresh and light why not follow up with a decadent dessert? You earned it! Try my no-bake Nutella bars. They are one of my most popular pins on Pinterest!!!
1 ½ pounds of scallops- muscles removed (large or small will work)
½ cup of extra virgin olive oil
1 ¼ cups of lime juice (fresh is best but a bottle version will do in a pinch)
1 large poblano pepper, seeded and diced small
1 large or 2 small jalapeno peppers, seeded and finely minced
1 cup of red onion, diced small
1 orange, peeled, seeded and segmented with pith removed (do this over a bowl because you want to save the juice)
2 cups of sugar free pink grapefruit segments (You could do this by hand but it saves a lot of time and trouble to just buy a big jar in the refrigerator section of your grocery store’s produce department.)
½ cup of grapefruit juice from jar above and whatever amount of juice from the orange that was reserved
1 bunch of chopped cilantro
1 large or 2 small Haas avocados peeled, pitted and diced (Wait till you are ready to serve for this step otherwise your avocado will turn brown.)
A bag of your favorite tortilla chips warmed till toasty in the oven or microwave when ready to serve
- Thaw if needed, then rinse and pat dry scallops.
- Toss scallops with just a drizzle of olive oil coat, salt and pepper.
- Lightly sear in a hot skillet for 2 min. You are not cooking through, just giving an external sear to create a bit of caramelization.
- Remove scallops to a plate to cool, when cool (about 5 min.) cut each scallop into quarters
- In a large bowl combine the rest of the ingredients EXCEPT cilantro and avocado. Those need to be added just before serving.
- Stir in cooled, quartered scallops and place the bowl in the refrigerator to chill and blend flavors for at least an hour.
- When you are ready to serve- warm the tortilla chips and stir in cilantro and chopped avocado.